Brief History Of All Saints Cathedral
The foundation stone of this Cathedral was laid on 9th November, 1949 by His Excellency, Sir John Stewart Macpherson, Governor General of Nigeria. The Cathedral was built in phases. The Lady Chapel was dedicated in 1952 by the Rt. Rev. A.M. Gelsthorpe, the Bishop in Sudan. The glass windows on either side of the sanctuary were dedicated by the Most Rev. Dr. Geoffrey Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury on 25th September, 1960 and on 9th January, 1965. The sanctuary, High Altar and the Transeptal Tower were consecrated by the Most Rev. Michael Ramsey, Archbishop of Canterbury. The Cathedral structure stood up sturdily to the pounding of the Nigerian civil war but the furniture was affected. Between 1972 and 1973, attention was devoted to various needed repairs. This was during the time of Rt. Rev Lucius Madubuko Uzodike. The Most Rev Dr. J.A. Onyemelukwe started his ministry as the Bishop on the Niger in 1975 with the challenge to complete the Cathedral. By 1982, the auxiliary offices were in use and considerable progress has been made over the Chapter House. The foundation stone of the Bell Tower was laid in 1991 and the remaining part of the same was completed in November 1992.
On 1st November, 1992, the completed Cathedral was dedicated for worship by the Archbishop of Church of Nigeria, His Grace, the Most Rev. Joseph Abiodun Adetiloye assisted by the Most Rev. Dr. J.A. Onyemelukwe and other bishops of the Church of Nigeria.
ADMINISTRATION / OFFICES
The Cathedral comprises the following offices:
• Team ministers
• Provost’s warden
• People’s warden
• The vergers
• The Cathedral Committee oversees the material aspects, maintenance and development of the Cathedral